[IPython-dev] Easy Installation

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Jun 10 21:18:59 CDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Carl Smith <carl.input@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's easy to get a working IPython 0.12 from a new distro, else 0.11
> or something, but too difficult to upgrade as a new user. If there is
> an easy way, it isn't documented?

Unfortunately what you're asking is really "why is package management
not easy in Python".  Cf. remark about minefield above :)

I think Thomas wants to target something with a much narrower focus,
which may be OK.  Your question goes to the heart of the mess that is
package management in Python in general, and that's certainly NOT
something we're about to tackle.  Despite the fact it costs users of
all projects wasted time (and many may simply abandon python
altogether), that's something beyond our scope to fix, I'm afraid.