[IPython-dev] Let's get 0.13 released...

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Jun 11 09:38:56 CDT 2012

On 11 June 2012 14:43, Carl Smith <carl.input@gmail.com> wrote:
> I love to see stdin in the notebook. I don't know how important it is for
> most users, but I'm promoting the notebook as an alternative to ssh, which
> it isn't at the moment.

This would be great to see, but I don't think we have a clear idea how
to make it happen yet. Our architecture for Python code that calls
input() involves the kernel requesting input from the frontend. AFAIK,
that won't work for external processes, so we'd need some sort of
'forward all input' mechanism.

I can't see this being implemented in time for 0.13, but you're
welcome to start experimenting with what we could do.

In the meantime, if you want a web interface that removes the need for
SSH, I know pythonanywhere uses Shell In A Box:
http://code.google.com/p/shellinabox/

Thanks,
Thomas