[IPython-dev] Why are notebooks no longer bound to cells?

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Tue Jun 19 01:07:33 CDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Dennis Sun <dlsun@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just pulled the latest development version of iPython, and I noticed
> that in the Javascript code, cells no longer contain a reference to the
> containing notebook. I had been using this attribute in the Javascript
> functions I was writing, so I was wondering: what was the reason for
> removing it, and now that it's gone, what is the best way to access the
> notebook object given a cell? (I had been using it in some AJAX calls where
> the context was the cell rather than the notebook.)

The JS was refactored significantly to decouple kernels/cells/notebooks,
because it should be possible to use them outside the notebook context
(e.g. single cell on an existing webpage).

-MinRK