[IPython-dev] magics and metadata

Jonathan Taylor jonathan.taylor@stanford....
Tue Jun 19 03:18:12 CDT 2012

With the addition of cell-level metadata in cells in ipython/master it
would be nice to be able to easily add metadata to cells, say, through
a cell magic? I can't see a way that this is possible in the current
cell_magic api as the cell_magic gives you the input of the cell but not a
cell itself, i.e. not an instance of NotebookNode.

I can see there are some downsides in giving the cell_magics a NotebookNode
as the cell argument over a string:
one obvious problem is that, unconstrained, one could have a magic that
modifies "cell_type" from "code" to "markdown".
Maybe this is a bad thing, but I can imagine a case where I might want to
do that. Another obvious downside
is that users who write cell_magics have to return NotebookNode instances
(which doesn't seem too difficult).

This question might also fit into the discussion of composing or iterating
cell magics. If a cell magic returned a NotebookNode and took
a NotebookNode as its cell argument, then there is a natural way to compose
magics:

%%magic1 line1
%%magic2 line2
cell_text