[IPython-dev] magics and metadata

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jun 19 16:59:23 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 1:17 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes - we put metadata on outputs for a reason, presumably.  If this
> shouldn't be saved, it should probably be removed from the API.

I can't recall precisely what we had in mind when we put it in, but
something that springs to mind as potentially useful, for example,
would be to specify a desired priority order for the various types of
outputs. Right now when a client can display several kinds of output
it just makes a choice, but we could let objects provide a hint of the
preferred order, based on what they know about the relative quality of
each.

So I'd vote for not removing this, as it may prove useful...