[IPython-dev] Weird, serious notebook bug on Windows

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Wed Jun 27 18:20:35 CDT 2012

I can reproduce this, actually with basic tornado hello world example -
listening on an in-use port does not raise on Windows.

This is because tornado sets:

sock.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_REUSEADDR, 1),

which on Windows prevents binding from raising an error. The second socket
will happily wait in line for the previous socket to let go of the port.

I see this as "not our problem," and if Windows users want to run multiple
notebooks, they have to set ports manually, which is easy.  This should be
clearly documented, though, as it is rather surprising.

I will bring it up as a tornado Issue.

-MinRK