[IPython-dev] zmq fork

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Mon Mar 26 23:08:39 CDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 20:53, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Jason Grout
> <jason-sage@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> > I just noticed that some of the main developers of zeromq forked zeromq
> > to create the "Crossroads" project [1].  Does anyone have any idea how
> > this affects IPython (or are people just waiting and seeing what happens
> > at this point)?
>
> Yep, this is going to take a while to bake out and we just need to
> wait it out.  In open source competition is good at the end of the
> day.  May be some pain in the middle though.  PyZMQ (the Python
> bindings for zeromq) are popular enough that I am confident that the
> Crossroads developers will work hard to make sure that Crossroads
> works with PyZMQ.  They currently have a zeromq compatability mode the
> makes this possible.  My personal hope is that PyZMQ can work with
> both zeromq and Crossroads, even if they diverge somewhat.  From
> IPython's perspective, as long as PyZMQ works with either zeromq or
> Crossroads, we are set.  If Crossroads and zeromq diverge in more
> significant ways, we will have to decide how to handle that.  But I
> think all of those decisions will be made within PyZMQ, so users of
> PyZMQ won't really have to worry much.

PyZMQ already hides the difference between libzmq-2.1 and libzmq-3.1, so
IPython does not have to worry about that difference at all.  At this
point, libxs *is* libzmq-3.1, and pyzmq should work perfectly well with
libxs as long as it is built with its libzmq-compatibility flag (which
simply restores original names of things).  For the near future, pyzmq will
rely on the Crossroads libzmq-compatibility.  We will see how libxs
develops and diverges from libzmq, and how that affects what is needed to
support both (and how the zmq community moves with respect to the fork as
well).

Essentially, all of this compatibility will happen in pyzmq itself, and
IPython should never need to be aware of any of it.

-MinRK