[IPython-dev] SWC using IPython Notebook

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Thu Oct 4 16:41:16 CDT 2012

Hi,

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 4, 2012, at 2:28 PM, Matt Davis <jiffyclub@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thank you for putting together this great tool! (I'll admit to being pretty blasé on IPython until you came out with the Notebook.)  We've also got a PyCon proposal in on the topic of teaching with Notebooks.

Very nice!

> There is already a lot of communication between SWC and the IPython devs so none of these requests are exactly news, but here are some things we'd like for the teaching side:
>
> - Integration with pythontutor.com

Haha, I actually started to work on this yesterday.  Not working yet, but it should be possible.  The main challenge will be to allow the code run using opt to run in the same namespace as ipython.  That is going to be messy and will require working closely with the opt authors.

> - A way for an instructor to make a notebook then strip out code for distribution to students (so they can see our annotations but have to type their own code).

So basically just remove all code cells, right?  That won't be too difficult.

> - A way to put hints into Markdown cells, e.g. collapsed by default but expandable if students want help.

What about having md cells be collapsible and just show the first line when collapsed?