[IPython-dev] idea "native" ipython notebook

Jonathan Chambers jon.chambers3001@gmail....
Mon Apr 8 04:50:22 CDT 2013

So here's the deal: I've been falling in love with the ipython browser notebook. But, it turns out, having it actually in the browser is kinda annoying - it makes launching a hassle, makes you have two sets of interface chrome (a pain on small laptop screens) and in general is not wholly as awesome as it could be.

So I have an idea: build a "native" ipython notebook app by using an embedded browser. This technique has already been used to produce some really nice apps - Adobe Brakets (http://brackets.io/), Light Table (http://www.lighttable.com/), and TileMill (http://mapbox.com/tilemill). These all use pretty much the same Chromium-based native app wrapper, a HTML/JS UI, and Node.js to run some "server" style components.

I believe it would be quite easy to drop the iPython notebook interface into such a container (possibly with a few modifications), optionally swapping the Node instance in the container with Tornado. Brackets in particular has some neat tools to add native menus and has the ability to develop the interface in html/js without modifying the native container - from what i've seen you could download brakets and modify the html to point to an existing notebook.

There's still plenty of details to flesh out with this idea, but i was mostly wondering if this idea caught anyone's interest. I personally don't have time to work on this right now (too busy actually using iPython hah!) so i thought I'd just put it out there in case anyone else likes it enough to do something with it.

Jon