[IPython-dev] idea "native" ipython notebook

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Apr 8 09:19:46 CDT 2013

On 8 April 2013 10:50, Jonathan Chambers <jon.chambers3001@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I have an idea: build a "native" ipython notebook app by using an
> embedded browser. This technique has already been used to produce some
> really nice apps - Adobe Brakets (http://brackets.io/), Light Table (
> http://www.lighttable.com/), and TileMill (http://mapbox.com/tilemill).
> These all use pretty much the same Chromium-based native app wrapper, a
> HTML/JS UI, and Node.js to run some "server" style components.

I'd be interested in something like this - the one thing I find a bit
awkward about the notebook is that I can't easily use it like a regular
desktop application, with shortcuts, associations with ipynb files, and so
on.

You could even look at making a kind of generic wrapper, so that
applications written as web applications can easily be run locally. It
wouldn't be entirely trivial, though: you'd need to think about things like
inter-process communication, so if I double click a file, it can open in an
existing instance.

Good luck,
Thomas