[IPython-dev] idea "native" ipython notebook

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Mon Apr 8 16:23:12 CDT 2013

I don't think that a native notebook app should be developed within
ipython itself - we already have way too many things to focus on.
Also, the effort versus reward is pretty low in my opinion.  You are
essentially taking something that already runs on the best cross
platform application (modern web browsers), throwing that out and then
trying to re-invent all of the cross platform stuff - even if you use
Qt, it is a complete pain in the ....  Obviously, we want this to be
possible if other people want to get in this direction though.

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Carlos Córdoba <ccordoba12@gmail.com> wrote:
> PyQt 4.10 already supports Qt5 but I don't know how easy would be
> transitioning to it.
>
> El 08/04/13 13:30, Damián Avila escribió:
>> El 08/04/13 15:25, Matthias BUSSONNIER escribió:
>>> Hi,

>>> Last Time I tried with  QtWebKitWidget, Qt Javascript VM was **much** too slow.
>>> Didn't had the chance to look deeper but I would have suggested Chromium embedded.
>>>
>> I used Qtwebkit widget in vIPer with PyQt 4.9 and it is slow... but I
>> have not tested recently... I think PyQt 5.0 was released, maybe there
>> was an improvement.
>> I will check this soon and let you know.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Damián.

Brian E. Granger