[IPython-dev] Guppy (Heapy) for variables in %who?

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Tue Aug 20 13:27:29 CDT 2013

Hi Josh,

On 20 August 2013 10:48, Josh Wasserstein <ribonucleico@gmail.com> wrote:

> As you may already know, Heapy provides nice memory statistics of the
> object heap. Here are a couple of links discussing it:
> *
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/110259/which-python-memory-profiler-is-recommended
> * http://guppy-pe.sourceforge.net/#Heapy
>
> IPython already has a magic for printing interactive variables: *who*,
> similar to MATLAB's *who*:
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/who.html except that the IPython
> version does not show the size of objects in memory. This is where Guppy
> comes into play, since it can provide memory statistics of the object heap.
>
> I was wondering if there have been any efforts or discussions in
> integrating Heapy (or any other memory profiler) into IPython.

I don't recall any discussion about Heapy. The memory_profiler module has
IPython integration:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/memory_profiler/0.27#ipython-integration

If you're interested, the best thing is to write an IPython extension to do
what you want:

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/config/extensions/index.html#writing-extensions

Best wishes,
Thomas