[IPython-dev] Python and Javascript

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Mon Aug 26 23:25:21 CDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 August 2013 12:50, Cyrille Rossant <cyrille.rossant@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> (I think the
>> bottleneck is base64 serialization/deserialization, and there's also
>> the transfer through WebSocket).
>>

> I think someone mentioned that the IPython messaging protocol does allow
> the possibility of sending JSON metadata followed by a chunk of binary
> data, which would avoid the base64 cost. I don't know much about it, but if
> I'm not making that up, others will be able to give you more details.

It is true, but it is only a part of the message spec used in Python-Python
messages (data-pub and apply).
At the dev meeting, we did discuss the possibility of switching to binary
websockets, which opens the door to this part of the message spec making it
all the way to javascript and becoming a part of the widget spec.

-MinRK