[IPython-dev] IPython 0.13.1 with Notebook and Qt console working on smartphone

Roberto Colistete Jr. roberto.colistete@gmail....
Fri Feb 1 07:42:35 CST 2013

Em 01-02-2013 09:40, Thomas Kluyver escreveu:
> On 1 February 2013 03:55, Roberto Colistete Jr.
> <roberto.colistete@gmail.com <mailto:roberto.colistete@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>          I have also tested my Nokia N9 running IPython Notebook
>     server and
>     web clients on many devices : PC's, Android tablets, Maemo 5/Nokia
>     N900
>     smartphone, etc. It works very well. As Nokia N9 has WiFi hotspot, we
>     can have a full IPython 0.13.1 in your pocket, accessible to any
>     computer/tablet/smartphone without IPython but with good web browser
>     (with websockets and MathJax support).
>

> Nice work! It's a pity that Nokia ditched that line. Do you think it
> will be possible to apply the work to future boot2gecko, Sailfish, or
> Ubuntu phones?
>
> Thomas

     Nokia ceased to sell Nokia N9 in many countries in 2012, but it is
still available in other countries, sometimes at low price. It is
estimated that Nokia N9 sold some million units in 2011 and 2012, e.g.,
in 2011/Q4 it sold more (1.5-2 million units) than Nokia Lumia. So there
is a good MeeGo Harmattan community worldwide, and typical real Linux
mobile users keep using their devices for some years.

     Other current mobile OS :
- AFAIK, there is no public IPython package to install on Android,
BlackBerry OS, iOS, Symbian, Windows Phone;
- Maemo 4 (Nokia N8x0) & Maemo 5 (Nokia N900) have IPython 0.10.2 :
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1168357.

     About future in 2013/2014 :
- Firefox OS (Boot2Gecko) : it doesn't support native (C/C++)
development, neither Python. So no IPython, except if somebody releases
Python running in HTML5...
- Sailfish OS : uses Mer (successor of community MeeGo), plus UI and
hardware adaptation from Jolla in Qt/Qt Quick. It already has Python
2.7.3 and some dependencies (readline5, python-pycurl, python-pygments)
needed by IPython, but others (python-zmq, python-tornado, etc) need to
be packaged. So IPython terminal console could be packaged as soon as
the official Sailfish SDK is released (in 2013/Q1), IPython Qt console
and IPython Notebook would need more work;
- Ubuntu Phone OS : uses Ubuntu for ARM with a Qt/Qt Quick UI. It is
expected that all packages from Ubuntu desktop without GUI will be
available. Packages with GUI in GTK/QtWidget needed to be rewritten in
Qt Quick. So IMHO IPython terminal console and IPython Notebook will be
easily available. The complete Ubuntu Phone SDK will be released in the
following weeks.

     I am waiting for Sailfish SDK and Ubuntu Phone SDK to start porting
some Python modules and softwares : IPython, SymPy, etc.