[IPython-dev] IPEP 10:

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Mon Feb 25 11:14:17 CST 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Matthias BUSSONNIER <
bussonniermatthias@gmail.com> wrote:

> From a first quick read, I would be -1 on whitelisting types.
> The strength of nbformat is that it embeds **all** the data type that are
> available afterward with nbconvert for example.
> A frontend does not need to know how to show a format to store it in the
> file.

You have misunderstood.  The principal use case for this is in-process
IPython,
where output is not saved, and there is zero uncertainty about unsupported
display formats.
The notebook is not relevant here, and this makes no changes at all to the
behavior in the notebook.