[IPython-dev] Camera widget

Jason Grout jason-sage@creativetrax....
Wed Feb 26 23:39:20 CST 2014

On 2/26/14 11:00 PM, Doug Blank wrote:
> Here is a puzzle: can you make a kernel-side script that will take a
> picture, *and* return it? It seems like you can't because the kernel
> can't handle receiving the image while at the same time run your code
> waiting for the message to come it. I guess you could do it with a
> non-blocking kernel? Yep, just tried it by putting our kernel in
> non-blocking mode.

Can you elaborate on putting your kernel in non-blocking mode?

I suppose what you bring up a is more general problem---I probably can't
adjust a slider while some user code is executing and see the result in
the code, for example.

On the other hand, if the comm infrastructure supported a blocking mode,
where a message could be sent and then we block and wait for a reply, we
could do your picture-taking example.  Just ask the camera to take the
picture, and then wait for the reply, just like asking for raw input and
waiting for a reply.

Thanks,

Jason