[IPython-user] Re:

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Tue Aug 26 00:08:23 CDT 2003

Hi Bob,

sorry for not replying.  I just saw your message on the newsgroup gateway to
the list, but I don't have it anywhere in my inbox.  I wonder what happened.
Anyway...

> i downloaded python 2.3 and installed it, so it went
> into my /usr/local/bin directory on linux.  so now i
> have 2.2.2 and 2.3 installed, but my path hits 2.3
> first; however ipython still loads up 2.2.2.  i even
> did
>
> python setup.py install
>
> and
>
> ipython -upgrade
>
> on ipython 0.4.0 but to no avail.  how can i get
> ipython to pick up the new 2.3 interpreter as opposed
> to the 2.2.2?

Are you sure that just typing

python

gives you 2.3?  Because if that's the case, doing

python setup.py install

should install the ipython script with the path to the 2.3 version.  That is,
if I understand distutils correctly.

But if this doesn't work, there's a simple manual fix.  Find the ipython
startup script with:

which ipython

and edit the file.  Simply put in the first line:

#!/path/to/your/python/2.3

And you're set.

Best,

f.