[IPython-user] turn off screen clearing?

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Mon Jun 30 20:32:28 CDT 2003

Keith Beattie wrote:
> On 06/30/2003 06:03 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:
>

>> Does anyone see a downside to that (i.e., enabling curses ONLY if
>> TERM=='xterm')?
>

> What about making it an option in ~/.ipython/ipythonrc?

Well, this is an obscure enough situation that it seems better to 'do the
right thing' out of the box.  I don't want to put into ipythonrc so many
options that using ipython becomes like configuring sendmail ;)

This seems to be a situation where the 'right' thing is reasonably well
defined: on certain terminals, curses.endwin() causes undesirable behavior and
should be avoided.  Or is there any popular terminal out there which does NOT
set TERM==xterm and yet handles curses.endwin() correctly?

In cases where a reasonable default can be agreed upon, I think it's best to
avoid throwing in yet another user option.

Further opinions?  I'm willing to make it an option, but only if I can see a
convincing argument for it.

Best,

f.