[IPython-user] gnuplot variables

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Thu Jul 31 12:24:33 CDT 2003

Arnd Baecker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the followig seems to boil down to the question: how to check if a pipe
> opened with popen3 contains data to be read.
>
> Still I thought I start to post this question here as it is in the context
> of Fernando's improvements to gnuplot...

[snip...]

Interesting ideas, but keep in mind that pipe support is very os dependent.
So adding any of these to Gnuplot.py will be no small task, as a fair amount
of os-specific checks will have to be enabled.  In particular, I think that
under WinXX systems, pipe support is limited (I could be wrong here).

While I use gnuplot for all my work (hence all the enhancements I put into
ipython for it), in a sense I am using as a stop-gap solution.  I have high
hopes that once the chaco framework matures, it will provide a better
'pythonic' solution to the plotting problem.  I know of all the problems
involved with getting WxWindows to work reliably, and that's why I currently
stay away from it.  But hopefully these will be ironed out in time.

This is not to say that I don't see gnuplot enhancements as a worthwhile goal,
but simply to point out that I would not spend too much effort on it.  On the
other hand, anyone else is more than welcome to put their effort in :)

Best,

Fernando.