[IPython-user] Embedding IPython in C program?

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 3 15:19:36 CDT 2003

Ok, here's some real progress.  Please see the attached files for the following.

Please set your python version in the makefile, then run:

[embed]> make

... ignore warnings

[embed]> ./embed argv.py
sys.argv is:
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "argv.py", line 3, in ?
     print sys.argv
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'argv'

Here's the problem.  When embedded, python does NOT set sys.argv AT ALL!  So
ipython crashes badly. However, run now:

[embed]> ./embed embed.py

In [1]: # We're in ipython.  Yipee!

All I did was:

[embed]> cat embed.py
import sys
sys.argv = ['']

from IPython.Shell import IPythonShellEmbed
ipshell = IPythonShellEmbed()
ipshell()

manually set sys.argv myself.  Simple, heh ? ;)

Anyway, if you test this a bit more and conclude that it all works ok in a
'real world' scenario, I'd like to hear about it.  In that case, I can include
this example in the docs for the future.

Now I need to get back to G. Bishop...

Best,

f.