[IPython-user] Embedding IPython in C program?

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Wed Jun 4 11:26:16 CDT 2003

Herb Schilling wrote:

>>Anyway, if you test this a bit more and conclude that it all works
>>ok in a 'real world' scenario, I'd like to hear about it.
>

> Works in my real world!

Great news!

> About the only problems I still have are:
>

> 1. Having colors on causes a messed up prompt as I explained before.
> Setting colors to NoColor fixes that.

Colors work just fine for me.  I'm using RedHat 8.0 and the kde terminal
(konsole), with python 2.2.1.

> 2. None of the readline stuff works in the IPython interpreter when
> running embedded in a C app. Does it work for you? I even tried
> explicitly turning it  on inside my ipythonrc file but that didn't
> help.

The readline stuff also works perfectly for me.

Basically I can see no difference whatsoever between running ipython embedded
and  a 'naked' run.  As far as I can see, on my system, the ipython-in-C works
100% like the pure python one.

I hope you can resolve the issues on your platform.  Keep cc-ing the list on
your replies, someone may pop up out of the woodwork with an idea.

Best,

f.