[IPython-user] turn off screen clearing?

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Mon Jun 30 20:03:09 CDT 2003

Keith Beattie wrote:
> On 06/30/2003 04:57 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:
>
>> So unless someone has any further insights into this issue, I'm afraid
>> this annoying behavior will stay in the ipython code.  But I find it
>> rather ugly, so I'm open to further comments.  With a good argument, I'll
>> be convinced to write in workaround code for future versions.
>

> Well, I don't have a convincing argument and agree that it's ugly, but at
> worst a cosmetic problem. I tried it on FreeBSD and it happens there on a
> console (TERM=cons25), 'TERM=dumb ipython' worked.  I haven't installed X
> there, so hopefully it will go away in a gnome-terminal like it does on
> linux.  If not, an "alias ipython='TERM=dumb ipython'" will probably work
> for me.

Shoot.  I tested the Linux text console, and it also happens there.  So I
guess the problem is widespread enough that perhaps I really should put in
some workaround code.  Initially I thought it was only a Solaris issue, but if
even a current linux box in text mode shows the problem, I don't like it.

I'd love to know if the issue is a curses bug.  But in the meantime, I guess
I'll neeed to wrap the curses code in a check, so they don't occur for any
terminal type other than xterm.

Checking for TERM==xterm seems safe, since xterm, konsole and gnome-terminal
all set TERM=xterm.  And this would leave other terminals, such as
(linux,solaris,bsd)-text ok.

Does anyone see a downside to that (i.e., enabling curses ONLY if TERM=='xterm')?

Best,

f.