[IPython-user] IPython under Jython?

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Thu Mar 27 14:59:45 CST 2003

Jason Ives wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone's had success running IPython under Jython?  If
> so I'd like to hear about it.

Insofar as IPyhton is pure python code, it should in principle work.   The
only C extension I think it uses is readline, but that is optional (it won't
crash if it can't find it).  But I personally don't know, and I'd love to hear
  reports of success/failure.  If it doesn't work, I'm sure the issues can be
addressed, as ipython is in a sense a rather simple read/eval()/print loop.

> I want to develop an Eclipse plugin which provides an IPython console
> for Python development.  Using Jython seems to be the easiest way and
> would actually allow me to embed an IPython instance.

This would be great, and I'll be glad to make any reasonable adjustments to
ipython to accomodate this.

Cheers,

f.