[IPython-user] ipython -p numeric problem

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Sat Mar 29 13:32:22 CST 2003

Quoting Jack Moffitt <jack at xiph.org>:

>> ImportError: No module named kinds WARNING: Loading of
>> IPython.numutils failed.
>
> Fixed this.  I had forgotten numeric-python-ext :)

Yes, the kinds package is one of those parts of Numeric which ends up
being distributed in different manners by different packages.  I
typically build numeric from sources, so I end up with it installed in full.

> The gnuplot error is still there though...

See:

http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/node12.html#SECTION000122000000000000000

It is caused by the fact that I'm trying to enable mouse support, but
unfortunately I think only the CVS gnuplot has this.  In a sense it's
forcing a bit the users's hand, but I've left it in because Gnuplot with
mouse is so incredibly better than without, that it's worth for users
the pain of moving over to CVS code.  I figure that anyone who wants to
use ipython for scientific work can deal with CVS :)  Being able to zoom
in with the mouse into a specific region of a dataset, or to rotate a 3d
plot is so far superior to typing ranges by hand, that the upgrade is
worth the effort.  So I've deliberately left the error message in as a
not-so-subtle hint :)

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to trap the error to inform the
users of all this more gracefully.  Ideally I'd check for this in some
manner and give a nice message, but because of the way ipython
communicates with gnuplot, I've failed so far.

So in summary, either set gnuplot_mouse to 0 in
IPython/GnuplotRuntime.py, or upgrade your gnuplot.  I heartily
recommend the latter :)

Cheers,

f.