[IPython-user] 0.4.0 ready for Monday

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri May 16 22:17:46 CDT 2003

    FP> Hi all, I think 0.4.0 is ready for release, so I'll put it out
    FP> on Monday barring any last-minute show-stoppers.  It's
    FP> basically 0.2.15pre4 with a few small things, and two
    FP> important fixes:

Last evening my advisor pointed to me a problem with IPython and a
SWIG wrapped module.  Global variables in C are wrapped by swig and
put in an object called cvar that behaves in what might be considered
un-pythonic fashion.  Here is an example of what happens:

$ cd SWIG-1.3.19/Examples/python/variables
# ipython
IPython 0.2.15pre3 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
In [1]: import example

In [2]: example.cvar [Return]
Testing sys.sdtout... OK.
Testing sys.sdterr...OK.
NameError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
 [...]
NameError: Unknown C global variable
WARNING:
The above exception has been trapped by IPython's 'last line of defense'.
[...]

However something like this works:

$ python
import exaPython 2.2.1 (#1, Sep  7 2002, 14:34:30)
[GCC 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)] on linux2
mple
>>> import example
>>> example.cvar [Return]
Global variables { path, status, pt, ptptr, name, iptrvar, cstrvar, strvar, dvar, fvar, cvar, ucvar, scvar, ulvar, usvar, uivar, lvar, svar, ivar }

Besides this also works:

ipython
In [1]: import example

In [2]: example.cvar.path
Out[2]: '/home/beazley'

I think the problem is that the exception raised by accessing
example.cvar.foo is a NameError and not an AttributeError.  This
triggers the IPython crash since the exception is not trapped.

>>> example.cvar.foo
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
NameError: Unknown C global variable

I have the crash report and am attaching it below.  I am not sure this
is an IPython bug or a swig bug.  If you are sure that its not an
IPython bug I'll let the SWIG developers know.

Thanks and sorry for being a spoil sport. ;-(

prabhu