[IPython-user] scipy profile

Arnd Baecker baecker at physik.tu-dresden.de
Mon May 19 10:08:22 CDT 2003

Hi,

I encountered the following when using
'ipython -p scipy':

1.) help(scipy):

In [1]: help(scipy)
NameError                                 Traceback (most recent call
last)

?

NameError: name 'scipy' is not defined

This can be cured by adding (as in ipython-numeric)
the following two lines to ipython-scipy
# Load scipy by itself so that 'help scipy' works
import_mod scipy

2.) Now, scipy also provides scipy.info
Doing with the above profile an `info(scipy)` gives
In [2]: info(scipy)
In [3]:

However, doing the following in a normal ipython
session (ie no -p options) gives what I expect

In [1]: import scipy
scipIn [2]: scipy.info(scipy)

SciPy --- A scientific computing package for Python

Available subpackages
======================
cow         --- Cluster of Workstations
[...]

The problem also occurs without the import_mod scipy
in ipythonrc-scipy, eg:

Welcome to the SciPy Scientific Computing Environment.
In [1]: info(linalg)
In [2]:

In contrast to:
In [1]: from scipy import *
In [2]: info(linalg)
 Linear algebra routines.
[...]

Hmm, I am a bit confused about this, but maybe
I am expecting something wrong here ?

Arnd

P.S.: (this is still with IPython 0.2.15pre3,
if that matters)