[IPython-user] 0.4.0 ready for Monday

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Mon May 19 16:27:06 CDT 2003

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>     FP> Hi all, I think 0.4.0 is ready for release, so I'll put it out
>     FP> on Monday barring any last-minute show-stoppers.  It's
>     FP> basically 0.2.15pre4 with a few small things, and two
>     FP> important fixes:
>
> Last evening my advisor pointed to me a problem with IPython and a
> SWIG wrapped module.  Global variables in C are wrapped by swig and
> put in an object called cvar that behaves in what might be considered
> un-pythonic fashion.  Here is an example of what happens:

Ok, on second thought, I did add some hardening here.  While I maintain that
this is a SWIG bug, I don't expect people to upgrade SWIG just because of
this, and the SWIG authors may disagree and keep their current implementation.
  Since I try to make ipython as user-friendly as possible, I wrapped the call
to inspect.getdoc() into a fully open try/except: block with no exception
specified.  This will trap _any_ failure mode in getdoc() silently:

                 try:
                     # Harden against an inspect failure, which can occur with
                     # SWIG-wrapped extensions.  These can easily crash
                     # inspect.
                     ds = inspect.getdoc(self.tmp_obj)
                 except:
                     ds = None

This will go into 0.4 when it goes out.

I still think you should discuss this with the swig crowd, as I think they are
in the wrong.  But it doesn't cost me much to make life easier for ipython
users :)

Cheers,

f.