[IPython-user] How to get def, class or other multiline from history to current input?

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 09:46:42 CDT 2003

I'm in the midst of a cold-turkey switch to linux, and one
of the creature comforts I gave up was PythonWin's treatment
of multiline python commands as single command history entries.

When working on a new function I typically iteratively debug in
the interpreter, for which you really need a keystroke to bring
back the entire definition into a form which you can edit,
including entire line additions and removals and resubmit.

Is there any way to do this?

Is ipython's line-based editing unsuitable for this, and such
things only happen in the connected snippet editors (vim, etc.)

Thanks.