[IPython-user] How to get def, class or other multiline from history to current input?

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Thu May 22 23:49:14 CDT 2003

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
> Just FYI perhaps you can take a look at these:
>
>  http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/hacks/pyrepl.html
>
> and
>
>  http://codespeak.net/rlcompleter2/

Well, I've actually talked on and off to both Michael and Holger about this.
pyrepl is curses-based, and Michael's goal is actually to base it off pygame
for a full interactive environment.  That's more than I can deal with now, and
dealing with portability there would probably not be easy.

However, after ipython's internals get cleaned up, perhaps it could be done as
an optional thing, just like the (hopeful) integration with pycrust.  So I
don't close that door, it's just a long-term thing (unless you want to pick up
the project and run with it, in your copious spare time ;)

As for Holger's rlcompleter2, that's _far_ more reasonable.  In fact, we had a
working patch for its inclusion in 0.2.12, but I didn't put it in because his
completer still lacks filename completion.  And I consider that a must-have
feature.  But Holger knows that, the moment he finishes that feature, I'll
gladly bring his code into ipython.  If you look at the new_design document,
it's even listed on the 'immediate todo' section.  But I think Holger is busy
with other things, because this feature has been pending for quite a while now.

Cheers,

f.