[IPython-user] Embedding IPython in C program?

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Fri May 30 13:45:15 CDT 2003

Herb Schilling wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I want to embed IPython in a C program. Here is the C code I am
> using to test this out.

[snip]

> What I get as output is the help info ( plus a mysterious IE ) and
> nothing else.. See below for the first part of that output. Am I
> trying to do something that is impossible with IPython ? If it is
> possible, what am I doing wrong ?

It should be possible, but I don't know the details.  I'll try to provide as
much info as I can, and maybe we can get somewhere. First, I can't quite get
your code to compile correctly, perhaps someone can give me a hint.  I've
never compiled a C code which embeds python, so I'm most likely missing a link
option.  Here's what I get (under Linux):

[embed]> gcc -I/usr/include/python2.2 -Xlinker -export-dynamic embed.c
/tmp/ccaaGfYJ.o: In function `main':
/tmp/ccaaGfYJ.o(.text+0x4b): undefined reference to `Py_Initialize'
/tmp/ccaaGfYJ.o(.text+0x5e): undefined reference to `PyRun_SimpleFile'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

But that aside, I'm attaching here a few emails from a discussion I had a
while back with another user on this very problem.  He found a fix, but I was
reluctant to apply it for reasons stated in the discussion.  He said he'd look
into it further, but I never heard back from him.  I'll include all of the
background, and if we can sort this cleanly, I'll be happy to include
whichever changes are necessary into ipython's next release.

I hope this is of use to you.

Best,

Fernando.