[IPython-user] Re: Don't know what to do!

Karl Pflästerer sigurd at 12move.de
Thu Nov 13 17:03:01 CST 2003

On 13 Nov 2003, Jens Brandenburg <- jens_brandenburg at gmx.net wrote:

> I 've done everthing as you told me. The libary is loaded but ipython
> doesn't start...

I don't know at the moment why I can't find your e-mail in
ipythonb-users.  But it also arrived in my mailbox so I'll answer (with
a Cc to Gmane let's see if it arrives in the list).

> That's why I try to start ipython by typing "ipython" in the cmd.com but
> this doesn't work. The following message is printed out: 'ipython is not
> recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
> So I tried it under Cygwin (because a friend told me) but only the message

Cygwin is good.  I use it here without problems.

> is another: C:\Programme\Python\Python23\python.exe: can't open file

Is that the cygwin version of Python?  I don't think so.  The path
suggests it is the Windows version.  So it makes no difference for you.

> '/cygdrive/c/Programme/Python/Python23/Scripts/ipython'

> Well, maybe you have an idea...

How exactly did you install IPython?

Where are the installed files frim Ipython saved?

IMO the easiest way would be to remove all installed files from IPython
and install it fresh.  Follow exactly the manaual (or the descriptions
in README_Windows).  Under Cygwin I install it simply with
./setup.py install .  Maybe you could try ./setup.py -n (this does
nothing just prints the actions it would do).

   Karl
--
            One, two!  One, two!  And through and through
                 The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!