[IPython-user] Gnuplot 1.6 incompatibility?

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Thu Oct 2 11:38:26 CDT 2003

Arnd Baecker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to show off how nicely you can
> do plots with gnuplot from within Ipython but
> terribly failed ;-(
>
> It boils down to
>
> In [2]: import IPython.Gnuplot2 as Gnuplot
> AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call
> last)
>
> /home/abaecker/<console>
>
> /home/python/PYTHON/lib/python2.3/site-packages/IPython/Gnuplot2.py
>      43
>      44 # Fix the File class to add the 'index' option
> ---> 45 class File(Gnuplot_ori.File):
>      46
>      47     _option_list = Gnuplot_ori.File._option_list.copy()
>
> /home/python/PYTHON/lib/python2.3/site-packages/IPython/Gnuplot2.py in
> File()
>      45 class File(Gnuplot_ori.File):
>      46
> ---> 47     _option_list = Gnuplot_ori.File._option_list.copy()
>      48     _option_list.update({
>      49         'index' : lambda self, index:
> self.set_option_index(index),
>
> AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute '_option_list'

This is strange.  A while back I had received some patches for Gnuplot 1.6.
Are you sure you're not using a CVS-updated Gnuplot.py?  I know M. Haggerty
has made lots of changes recently, and you might have something which is
actually newer than 'stock' 1.6.  I simply say this b/c the old patches
apparently made it all work fine for 1.6 users.  But I could well be wrong,
since I myself only use 1.5 still.

If you can't find a fix for this soon, let me know and I'll look into it over
the next few days.

Cheers,

f.