[IPython-user] Ipython/jython incompatibility

Abel Daniel abli at freemail.hu
Fri Sep 19 08:29:22 CDT 2003

Hildegarde Roth <hildegarde_roth at yahoo.de> writes:
> bash-2.05b$ jython
> Jython 2.1 on java1.4.2 (JIT: null)
> Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
> information.
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<console>", line 1, in ?
>   File "C:\Java\jython-2.1\Lib\IPython\__init__.py",
> line 37, in ?
>   File "C:\Java\jython-2.1\Lib\IPython\ultraTB.py",
> line 94, in ?
>   File "c:\Python\2.2.3\Lib\inspect.py", line 716
>                 start = lineno - 1 - context//2
>                                              ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> Any idea?
I think the problem is that you are using a 2.2 library with a 2.1 python.
foo//bar means "floor division" in newer pythons. See
http://python.org/peps/pep-0238.html

I think the real solution would be to fix that library problem (i.e. use
a inspect.py that was made for jython), but failing that you might get
away with changing foo//bar to foo/bar everywhere. (But check that pep first)

--
Abel Daniel