[IPython-user] Gtk (and specifically matplotlib) support in ipython

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Aug 13 12:57:46 CDT 2004

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>     FP> The code already works fairly well, with one significant
>     FP> caveat: any process started via os.system() (whether directly
>     FP> or implicitly using !cmd) will hang after a while.  I have
>     FP> currently no solution for this, but will welcome any ideas.
>     FP> Note that the problem seems to only affect long-running GUI
>     FP> apps, simple '!grep foo *' type things appear to function just
>     FP> fine.  But something like '!gv foo.eps &' will open gv, and
>     FP> after about 30 seconds the gv instance stops responding to all
>     FP> keyboard/mouse input.
>
> You probably already have tried this but how about using
> os.spawnl(...).  Here a simple use case:
>
>  pid = os.spawnl(os.P_NOWAIT, script, script)

Uh, no, not really.  When I said I was an ignoramus, I wasn't kidding.

But it doesn't seem to to work:

In [1]: import os

In [2]: os.spawnl(os.P_NOWAIT,'/usr/X11R6/bin/xcalc')
Out[2]: 27433

This is all I get, and xcalc never opens up.  Same with regular ipython and
the multithreaded one.  Even simple things like 'ls' fail to show anything, so
I'm not too sure what to do here.

Still, thanks for the feedback.  Any and all ideas welcome...

Best,