[IPython-user] Gtk (and specifically matplotlib) support in ipython

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Aug 13 13:54:48 CDT 2004

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>     FP> However, the deadlock happens as well.  Just as stumped...
>
> Yeah, I was just wanting to mention that you needed to specify it
> twice.  I have no idea why the GUI locks up though.  :(

Well, the funny thing is that Stephen Walton on the matplotlib list just
reported that it works just fine for him, on Fedora 1 with kernel 2.6.7.  I've
tested Fedora 2 with kernel 2.6.6 and Fedora 1 with 2.4.something, and they
both lock up.

If this is going to become a kernel/os/version/whatever-dependent problem,
tracking it down is going to be one hell of a PITA.

There's a reason why people warn you to stay away from threads...

Best,