[IPython-user] Hate "working on region in file blah blah" when using python-mode.el

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Sat Dec 11 02:47:59 CST 2004

    BP> These messages are totally meaningless. Why cannot it be the
    BP> code actually being executed? I have modified python-mode.el

[...]

    BP> As a matter of fact, S-mode (for R or S-plus), matlab-mode all
    BP> work in this way and I see no reason why we should tolerate
    BP> "working on region in ..." any more.

Well, I have reverted to my evil ways of using a shell for Python
stuff.  Old habits die hard.  Your suggestion sounds good.

However, you might have a problem when you want to run large regions.
Perhaps one could count the number of lines in that case and print the
first two followed by ... and then the last two.

Also, you should really send this suggestion to the python-mode folks.
IPython no longer ships with python-mode.el.

cheers,
prabhu