[IPython-user] Emacs support: three problems

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Dec 12 14:16:20 CST 2004

Thought I'd give IPython a try for the completion support from inside
emacs (I see several of you have been working hard on this recently: it's
appreciated!).  TAB-completion works fine in ordinary IPython.  M-x
py-version confirms that I have python-mode 4.69.  However:

1. C-c ! gives me a standard Python shell, not an IPython shell.

2. Typing "sys." (without the quotes), then M-x ipython-complete inside a
python-mode buffer visiting foo.py gives me "Buffer foo.py has no
process".

3. After configuring EDITOR=emacsclient as per the IPython manual, %edit
fails, since I'm on Windows, and I don't seem to have have emacsclient.
I guess people here who run on Windows use gnuserv?

Thanks in advance for any help here

I'm using IPython 0.6.5, Python 2.3, Emacs 21.1.1, python-mode 4.69 (CVS
HEAD) on Windows 2000.

John