[IPython-user] Emacs support: three problems

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Tue Dec 14 10:44:40 CST 2004

John J Lee <jjl at pobox.com> writes:

> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Alexander Schmolck wrote:
>
>> You don't need that:
>>
>> > (autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode." t)
>>
>> see if it works if you remove it (Can't immediately see why it would, though).
>
> If I remove that line, I get this message in my minibuffer on starting
> emacs and visiting a .py file:
>
> File mode specification error: (void-function python-mode)

Easy then -- ipython is not in your path. Try M-:(executable-find "ipython")
-- I predict it will return nil. It really *MUST* be in your path; you can't
set py-python-command or so and I even think that's sort of reasonable
(because there is little need to have different versions of ipython kicking
about and I guess ideally I'd rather pass py-python-command etc. related stuff
to ipython).

> Anybody have a fairly minimal .emacs that has been verified to work?

    > cat  ~/Emacs/*.el | wc -l
    4906

Nope.

>> 'as
>
> Pardon?

Less typing than A.S. or Alexander Schmolck.

'as