[IPython-user] Emacs support: three problems

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Dec 15 10:06:13 CST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Alexander Schmolck wrote:

> John J Lee <jjl at pobox.com> writes:
[...]
> > File mode specification error: (void-function python-mode)
>
> Easy then -- ipython is not in your path. Try M-:(executable-find "ipython")
> -- I predict it will return nil. It really *MUST* be in your path; you can't

OK, it does return nil, so I put ipython on my path.  Is this requirement
in the docs anywhere?

Now, if I just have:

(require 'ipython)

as the complete text of my .emacs, the python-mode command is not
available, and the only completions I get from M-x ipy <TAB> are
ipython-complete and ipython-to-doctest.  If I open a .py (in fundamental
mode), type sys. M-x ipython-complete, I get:

Symbol's value as variable is void: py-which-bufname

Trying another experiment, I set my .emacs to be:

(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode." t)
(require 'ipython)

and C-c ! still brings up a vanilla Python shell.

Thanks for the perseverance -- any other ideas??

[...]
>     > cat  ~/Emacs/*.el | wc -l
>     4906
>
> Nope.