[IPython-user] Emacs support: three problems

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Dec 15 10:13:56 CST 2004

John J Lee wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Alexander Schmolck wrote:
>

>>John J Lee <jjl at pobox.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>>File mode specification error: (void-function python-mode)
>>
>>Easy then -- ipython is not in your path. Try M-:(executable-find "ipython")
>>-- I predict it will return nil. It really *MUST* be in your path; you can't
>

> OK, it does return nil, so I put ipython on my path.  Is this requirement
> in the docs anywhere?

No, probably not because I'd never thought of it.  Under *nix, ipython by
default installs to /usr/bin, which is in every reasonably configured user's
path.  For Windows, I don't even know if there's a concept of path, so I just
put an icon in the start menu for ipython, which seems like the traditional
windows behavior.

I'm sorry to be of so little help here, but if you manage to get this working,
I'd encourage you to post one last message with a little summary of the
necessary steps for Windows users.  I'd be glad to add that information to the
manual so others don't have to go through the hell you have.

Best,