[IPython-user] The cursor keys problem under solaris

Justin Walker justin at mac.com
Tue Dec 21 09:44:27 CST 2004

On Dec 21, 2004, at 3:03, Xia Lei wrote:

>     I installed ipython under python 2.2.2 on solaris platform. It
> bothered
> me that the arrow keys and tab keys don't work. When I press left
> arrow,
> there will be a '^[[D' code appear in the shell, The shell seems don't
> recognize left arrow/right arrow/tab key which I expect to use in
> iPython.
> Do yo have any idea on how to solve this problem?

This support is usually provided by libreadline, and it is possible
that the version of python compiled for your system did not include
that functionality.

You can determine whether python has libreadline support by doing
(something like) the following (I'm using 'bash' as my shell):

$ type python
/usr/local/bin/python
$ ldd /usr/local/bin/python
...long list of libraries...

If readline is not in the list, python on your doesn't handle arrow
keys or other "emacs-like" keystrokes.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        | "Weaseling out of things is