[IPython-user] color with ipython inside emacs

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Fri Dec 31 04:32:23 CST 2004

Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> writes:

> [Forwarded from python-list as suggested by Fernando (and slightly
> updated).]
>
> Fernando Perez <fperez528 at yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> * Added ipython.el to the end-user distribution, for (X)Emacs support, since
>> now the official python-mode.el from
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/python-mode
>>
>> has all the necessary fixes for ipython support (in CVS at this moment).
>
> I've never been able to get color working when using ipython within
> emacs (21.3).  I just see various control codes in the *Python Output*
> buffer.  I'm using ipython 0.6.5, ipython.el 1.8, python-mode 4.69
> from CVS and ansi-color 3.4.5.  This happens with an empty .emacs and
> `M-x load-library RET /path/to/ipython.el' in a fresh emacs.
>
> Any suggestions?

Depends on -- are you using windows? In which case my suggestion would be to
replicate the problem under a unix machine [1], otherwise I'd suggest you:

a) see what happens if you do M-x term -- do you get nice colour output or
   not (after typing, say ``ls --color``)? What happens if you try the
   same after running emacs with:

     emacs -q

   ?

b) tell me what OS you're using, provided the above also doesn't work.

'as

Footnotes:

[1]  I'm led to conclude that me trying to support people who have problems
     with emacs/ipython under windows is a waste of everyone's time -- using
     something like emacs under windows invariably seems to lead to problems
     that simply don't occur under linux and other unices and that someone
     like myself who neither knows nor cares much about windows is ill-suited
     to advise on.