[IPython-user] Emacs support: three problems

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Dec 31 10:48:21 CST 2004

Can I just check that people *really are* successfully using the emacs
support under Windows?  Armed with this information, I will proceed to
interrogate the NT emacs people.

I can't see how it (ipython.el on Windows) could work as-is, given that
Windows shell ignores the #! trick, and doesn't regard python scripts
(such as ipython) that don't end in .py as executable.  Even .py files are
not found by the shell when invoked without the .py extension unless
PATHEXT or some registry key is appropriately set, and NT emacs (GNU emacs
for Windows) appears to ignore PATHEXT entirely!

I renamed ipython ipython.py.  Even with PATH and PATHEXT set
appropriately (so the shell can find ipython w/o needing to specify the
file extension on the command line), emacs still can't find the
executable.  Using Alex's latest ipython.el and setting the
ipython-command parameter to c:/full/path/to/ipython.py seems to cause
some other problem (of which I've sent Alex the details).  Or perhaps I
need to specify the interpreter executable explicitly somehow...
Whatever, I don't understand how it works for anybody on Windows without
some form of hacking or non-standard Windows / ipython / emacs config.

Wishing a non-pessimal 2005 to all <wink>,

John

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Alexander Schmolck wrote:

> John J Lee <jjl at pobox.com> writes:
[...]
> > emacs and visiting a .py file:
> >
> > File mode specification error: (void-function python-mode)
>

> Easy then -- ipython is not in your path. Try M-:(executable-find "ipython")
> -- I predict it will return nil. It really *MUST* be in your path; you can't
[...]