[IPython-user] color with ipython inside emacs

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Fri Dec 31 15:43:25 CST 2004

Alexander Schmolck <a.schmolck at gmx.net> writes:

> Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> writes:
>
>> If I do "emacs -q" and eval
>>
>> (setq load-path
>>       (append (list "~/emacs/lisp"
>> 		    "~/emacs/python-mode"
>> 		    )
>> 	      load-path))
>> (require 'ipython)
>>
>> and then `C-x C-f /tmp/test.py RET' and `C-c C-c', I get no color at
>> all in the *Python Output* buffer, just lots of control characters.
>
> Hmm, what about the shell -- does that still work?

`M-x term' still works.

> OK, try the following:
>
> 0. emacs -q
>
> 1. M-! which ipython
>    (just to make sure the expected ipython path is used)

/usr/bin/ipython

> 2. C-x C-f ~/emacs/python-mode/python-mode.el
>    M-x eval-buffer
>
> 3. C-x C-f ~/emacs/python-mode/ipython.el
>    M-x eval-buffer
>
> 4. M-: (require 'ipython)
>
> 5. M-x py-shell

I hadn't tried py-shell before, and it works fine.  But if I edit a
.py file and hit `C-c C-c', that's when I get control characters, but
no color.

The same thing happens if I do the above with the python-mode.el and
ipython.el that you sent.

> If that doesn't produce the desired outcome, it would seem that there's
> something wrong with python-mode.el or ipython-mode.el (unless you're emacs is
> completely screwed, which seems unlikely).

The only other thought is that I have a few emacs packages installed,
such as eieio, semantic and speedbar.  Should I see what happens with
them removed?

Dan