[IPython-user] color with ipython inside emacs

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Fri Dec 31 20:43:32 CST 2004

Alexander Schmolck <a.schmolck at gmx.net> writes:

> Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> writes:
>
>> I hadn't tried py-shell before, and it works fine.  But if I edit a
>> .py file and hit `C-c C-c', that's when I get control characters, but
>> no color.
>
> Aahh -- I see, sorry that's a bug in ipython.el. But no worries, this bug
> won't do you any harm at all -- I'd think all you need to do is start the
> py-shell first (C-c C-! or M-x py-shell).

Yes, that works, thanks.

> Rationale: if there's no running py-shell, python-mode (unintelligently, if
> you ask me) assumes you want to run stuff *non-interactively*. This makes no
> sense for ipython, however, because ipython really is not meant to be run
> non-interactively.
>
> However, since I'm such a nice person, I've added quickly modified ipython.el
> so that if there's no running python process python (rather than ipython) is
> called non-interactively on the region/buffer to execute (I'm not a nice
> enough person to have tested it properly though -- see whether it meets your
> expectations).

Hmm, ipython was still run when I tried `C-c C-c'.  But instead of
this, I wonder if it would make more sense to start py-shell
automatically when `C-c C-c' is hit, to get interactive behaviour?
Colored backtraces are nice.  :-)

But I don't have enough experience with ipython.el/python-mode.el to
know.  Because of the problems I had when I first tried it months ago,
I usually just run ipython in an xterm.

Dan