[IPython-user] version of python-mode.el in IPython

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez-1 at colorado.edu
Fri Jan 9 13:21:38 CST 2004

Ted Leung wrote:

> FYI, the other thing I'm looking for is the ability to use more than
> one CPython at a time -- Chandler has a bundled CPython, which makes
> lots of things difficult to annoying -- I hope this will change on
> platforms where there is already a python present, but for now that's
> the way it is.   I got ipython to work by hacking a version of the
> ipython script to use our Python.

I'll leave the emacs discussion to you and Alex, and will only comment on the
embedding issue.  I hope you guys can make progress on better integrating
Alex's work into the mainline for emacs python support.

Re embedding: keep in mind that ipython also has an easy 'embeddable' mode:

http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/node9.html

While I've only used this from pure python code, I've had user reports of
successfully calling it from embedded C code.  This might be useful to you (I
can't say for sure without knowing the details of your setup and needs).  Let
me know if you need any help with this.

Regards,

Fernando.