[IPython-user] emacs, idlwave

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 15 12:14:44 CST 2004

Arnd Baecker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just came across http://idlwave.org/
[snip]
> Wouldn't something like this be interesting
> in the context of python (scipy,...) ?
>
> Best,
>
> Arnd
>
> P.S.: BTW, this also looks nice: http://ecb.sourceforge.net/
>       and appears to have python support ...

Both look quite nice.  I remember using idlwave for coding IDL back (years
ago) when I dealt with that nightmare of a language (IDL has very good
graphics libraries, but its programming language is absolutely atrocious).  It
seems to have improved quite a bit.

This sounds like a great source of ideas for Alex Schmolck, our resident emacs
guru, to draw from for an ever more powerful ipython.el which makes (X)emacs
the ideal python computing environment.  Alex, ready for a nice 2004 project? ;-)

Thanks for the ecb link, I might actually install that.  Since Xemacs seems to
be the only editor I can actually use for more than 5 minutes (I've tried them
all, and they all feel like toys compared to it -- except for vi, which I
don't really use), this may be a good solution for adding some of the IDE
'sugar' which plain Xemacs lacks.

Regards,

f.