[IPython-user] ipython and readline

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jul 14 20:30:46 CDT 2004

Ted Leung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I"m curious about IPython's use of readline.  For Chandler we use a
> custom build of Python and today after I updated my version, my ipython
> stopped working (it doesn't start up).  It appears that one of the
> changes in the build was the inclusion of readline but in a different
> place than previously.  Any tips appreciated.

Mmh, weird.  Have a look at ~/.ipython/IpythonCrashReport.txt, and if it's
there, mail it to me.  You can also edit `which ipython`, and make the main
call with a debug argument:

import IPython
IPython.Shell.IPShell(debug=1).mainloop()

This will prevent the 'silent death', and probably give you a good hint of
what's going on.

IPython uses the standard gnu readline as wrapped in readline.py, so I'm not
sure where the problem may be.  But the above tricks may help us track it.

Regards,