[IPython-user] Installers for current CVS (basically a release candidate). Testers, please?

Viktor Ransmayr viktor.ransmayr at t-online.de
Wed Jun 9 03:31:11 CDT 2004

Viktor Ransmayr wrote:

>> Fernando Perez wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> in http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/testing/ I've packaged the current
>>> CVS code as:
>>>
>>> 1. The usual .tgz
>>> 2. rpms tagged with the proper Python version
>>> 3. *** a proper windows executable installer! (thanks to Cory Dodt)
>>>
>>> These now contain all the recent features properly documented, along
>>> with many fixes.  For those who missed the previous mail, the
>>> highlights are:
>>>
>>> - windows color support is supposed to work out of the box (thanks
>>> to Gary Bishop)
>>> - bash-like customizable prompts, and a new 'shell' profile
>>> included.  Yes, I now have 'pysh' as an alias to 'ipython -p shell'
>>> and I use it for on-the-fly system scripting (thanks to W.J. van der
>>> Laan).
>>>
>>> I would greatly appreciate feedback from Windows users on whether
>>> (3) works or not, since I made it 'blindly' under Linux, and have no
>>> way to run it.  If it does, I'll stop shipping .zip files for
>>> Windows users and continue from now on with this executable installer.
>>>
>>> *** WARNING --- BACKWARDS INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE***
>>> If you update, you'll need to fix ALL your ipythonrc files to use,
>>> in your prompt_in2 strings, '\D' instead of '%n'.  Otherwise your
>>> prompts won't print properly.  Sorry about this, but trivial as it
>>> sounds, it is nearly impossible for me to keep compatibility with
>>> the old syntax while implementing the new, much more flexible prompt
>>> system.
>>>
>>> Cheers,

>> Hi Fernando,
>>
>> I tried to install the current CVS version on WinXP Pro and failed :-(
>>
>> I'm attaching my internal configuration log, which contains the
>> traceback I've received:
>>

>> 2004-06-09 07:55:06
>>
>> o Install IPython-0.6.1.cvs
>> - Follow the instructions in "Upgrading from a previous version" and
>>   delete the directory C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Viktor
>> RANSMAYR\.ipython
>>
>> o Installation failed w/ the following traceback:
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "D:\Python23\Scripts\ipython_win_post_install.py", line 126, in ?
>>    run()
>>  File "D:\Python23\Scripts\ipython_win_post_install.py", line 86, in run
>>    shutil.copytree('doc',doc_dir)
>>  File "D:\Python23\lib\shutil.py", line 100, in copytree
>>    names = os.listdir(src)
>> WindowsError: [Errno 3] Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht
>> finden: 'doc/*.*'
>> *** run_installscript: internal error 0xFFFFFFFF ***
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>>    Viktor

> Hi again,
>
> I've been a little to fast before, since I didn't check any further ...
>
> It looks like IPython-0.6.1.cvs got properly installed. - Color and
> readline work to the same extent I had them working in 0.6.
>
> However, since I had all the modules allready previously installed
> I don't know how much of a help this report is ...
>
> Regards,
>
>    Viktor

Hi,

I promise this to be the last mail :-)

Here is  my internal configuration log for the de-installation attempt:

2004-06-09 10:09:08

o De-Install IPython-0.6.1.cvs
 - A similar traceback than above occured. However this time it couldn't be
   copied.
 - De-installation succeeded partially, i.e. it removed the
   directory D:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\IPython\ but did not remove
   directory C:\Programme\IPython.

Kind regards,

    Viktor