[IPython-user] XEmacs execute buffers/regions only once

Alexis Gallagher alexis at alexisgallagher.com
Thu Jun 10 06:34:33 CDT 2004

Hi all,

I've got ipython (0.50) running under Xemacs (21.5), and I've noticed
that XEmacs can only auto-execute python code once. Are others having
this problem as well?

For instance, the first time I do py-execute-buffer or
py-execute-region, it works. But any subsequent calls only produce the
message in the minibuffer "File [temp filename] queued for execution".

It seems XEmacs is waiting for the traditional python prompt >>> in
order to know that the text it shipped to the process has executed
correctly. Since ipython uses its own prompt ("In [#]"), XEmacs never
understands that ipython is ready for more text and it queues the text.
The problem is solved by calling py-clear-queued before every invocation
of one of the py-execute-* commands.

Is this a known issue, or is there something wrong with my installation?
(This is all going down on Mac OSX 10.3.4, with the fink distributions
of XEmacs and ipython, and my init.el set up to shadow python-mode.el as
necessary.)

Thanks,
Alexis Gallagher